Contact : Tel : (+33) 5 56 46 47 91
LOF (UMR5258 CNRS-Solvay-Université de Bordeaux)
178, avenue du Dr Schweitzer, F-33608 Pessac
Recent papers : Unexpected rheological behavior of concentrated poly(methacrylic acid) aqueous solutions, submitted to Macromolecules (2016). Effect of particle morphological parameters on sand grains packing properties and rheology of mortars, Cement and Concrete Research 80, 44–51 (2016). Flows of suspensions of particles in yield stress fluids, Journal of Rheology 59, 1449-1486. Macroscopic Discontinuous Shear Thickening versus Local Shear Jamming in Cornstarch, Physical Review Letters 114, 098301 (2015). Dry granular flows : rheological measurements of the μ(I)-Rheology, Journal of Rheology 59, 1065-1080 (2015). Rheological behaviour of suspensions of bubbles in yield stress fluids, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 215, 31-39 (2015).
Main publications -
Full list of publications -
See my publications and download the papers on my Researchgate page
Download my habilitation thesis (in French).
My interest is in granular suspensions. These materials (e.g., fresh concrete, lava flows...) are concentrated suspensions of very polydisperse particles (from nm to cm), and involve many different physical interactions (colloidal, hydrodynamic, contacts). They are generally yield stress fluids, which flow only if the applied stress is large enough. Moreover, their behavior depends on flow history, through reversible phenomena (thixotropy...), and irreversible phenomena (shear-induced concentration inhomogeneities...).
My goal is to identify the phenomena involved in the behavior of granular suspensions and their microscopic origin, and to model their macroscopic behavior. I mainly perform experimental studies on model materials. Among other things, I am interested in inhomogeneities, jamming, and macroscopic modelling. I also try to apply some of my results in the field of civil engineering.
My focus has been on : (i) suspensions of noncolloidal particles in Newtonian fluids, (ii) suspensions of noncolloidal particles in yield stress fluids, and (iii) simple and thixotropic yield stress fluids.
I am now involved in new projects using microfluidic techniques. One of my goal is to design new rheological tools to characterize the tensorial behavior of complex fluids. I also intend to investigate in more details the diphasic behavior of concentrated suspensions.
MAIN PUBLICATIONS ↺
Suspensions in a Newtonian fluid -
Suspensions in a yield stress fluid -
Yield stress fluids, thixotropy -
Cementitious materials -
Suspensions in a Newtonian fluid
- A. Fall, F. Bertrand, D. Hautemayou, C. Mezière, P. Moucheront, A. Lemaître, G. Ovarlez, Macroscopic Discontinuous Shear Thickening versus Local Shear Jamming in Cornstarch, Physical Review Letters 114, 098301 (2015). (paper,preprint)
- A. Fall, A. Lemaître, F. Bertrand, D. Bonn, G. Ovarlez, Continuous and discontinuous shear thickening in granular suspension, Physical Review Letters 105, 268303 (2010). (paper,preprint)
- A. Fall, F. Bertrand, G. Ovarlez, D. Bonn, Yield Stress and Shear Banding in Granular Suspensions, Physical Review Letters 103, 178301 (2009). (paper, preprint)
- G. Ovarlez, F. Bertrand, S. Rodts, Local determination of the constitutive law of a dense suspension of noncolloidal particles through MRI, Journal of Rheology 50, 259-292 (2006) (paper, preprint)
Suspensions in a yield stress fluid
- G. Ovarlez, F. Mahaut, S. Deboeuf, N. Lenoir, S. Hormozi, X. Chateau, Flows of suspensions of particles in yield stress fluids, Journal of Rheology 59, 1449-1486. (paper,preprint).
- F. Mahaut, X. Chateau, P. Coussot, et G. Ovarlez, Yield stress and elastic modulus of suspensions of noncolloidal particles in yield stress fluids, Journal of Rheology 52, 287-313 (2008). (paper, preprint)
- G. Ovarlez, F. Bertrand, P. Coussot, X. Chateau, Shear-induced sedimentation in yield stress fluids, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 42, 148-157 (2012). (paper,preprint) .
- L. Ducloué, O. Pitois, J. Goyon, X. Chateau, G. Ovarlez, Coupling of elasticity to capillarity in soft aerated materials, Soft Matter 10, 5093-5098 (2014).(paper,preprint) .
- L. Ducloué, O. Pitois, J. Goyon, X. Chateau, G. Ovarlez, Rheological behaviour of suspensions of bubbles in yield stress fluids, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 215, 31-39 (2015). (paper,preprint) .
Yield stress fluids, thixotropy
- N. Balmforth, I. Frigaard, G. Ovarlez, Yielding to stress : Recent developments in viscoplastic fluid mechanics, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 46, 121-146 (2014). (paper, download on researchgate)
- G. Ovarlez, S. Cohen-Addad, K. Krishan, J. Goyon, P. Coussot, On the existence of a simple yield stress fluid behavior, Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics 193, 68-79 (2013). (paper,preprint) .
- G. Ovarlez, Q. Barral, P. Coussot, Three-dimensional jamming and flows of soft glassy materials, Nature Materials 9, 115-119 (2010). (paper, preprint)
- G. Ovarlez, S. Rodts, X. Chateau, P. Coussot, Phenomenology and physical origin of shear-localization and shear-banding in complex fluids, Rheologica Acta 48, 831-844 (2009). (paper,preprint)
- G. Ovarlez, S. Rodts, P. Coussot, J. Goyon, A. Colin, Wide gap Couette flows of dense emulsions : Local concentration measurements, and comparison between macroscopic and local constitutive law measurements through magnetic resonance imaging, Phys. Rev. E 78, 036307 (2008) (paper, preprint)
- H. Hafid, G. Ovarlez, F. Toussaint, P.H. Jezequel, N. Roussel, Effect of particle morphological parameters on sand grains packing properties and rheology of mortars, Cement and Concrete Research 80, 44–51 (2016).(paper)
- N. Roussel, G. Ovarlez, C. Brumaud, S. Garrault, The origins of thixotropy of fresh cement pastes, Cement and Concrete Research 42, 148-157 (2012). (paper,preprint)
- F. Mahaut, S. Mokéddem, X. Chateau, N. Roussel, G. Ovarlez, Effect of coarse particle volume fraction on the yield stress and thixotropy of cementitious materials, Cement and Concrete Research 38, 1276-1285 (2008). (paper,preprint)
- G. Ovarlez, N. Roussel, A physical model for the prediction of lateral stress exerted by self-compacting concrete on formwork, RILEM Materials and Structures, Vol. 37(2), pp. 269-279, 2006 (paper, preprint)
- A. Fall, G. Ovarlez, D. Hautemayou, C. Mézière, J.-N. Roux, F. Chevoir, Dry granular flows : rheological measurements of the μ(I)-Rheology, Journal of Rheology 59, 1065-1080 (2015). (paper,preprint)
- G. Ovarlez, E. Clément, Slow dynamics and aging of a confined granular flow, Phys. Rev. E 68, 031302 (2003). (paper, preprint)
- G. Ovarlez, C. Fond, E. Clément, Overshoot effect in the Janssen granular column : a crucial test for granular mechanics, Phys. Rev. E 67, 060302(R) (2003). (paper, preprint)
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS ↺
See my full list of publications in peer reviewed journals and download all papers on my Researchgate page
My full list of publications is available as a .pdf file :
A complete curriculum is available as a .pdf file :
- Since 09/2014 : CNRS Senior research scientist (Directeur de Recherche), LOF
- 2013-2014 : CNRS Senior research scientist (Directeur de Recherche), Laboratoire Navier. 2003-2013 : CNRS Research scientist (Chargé de Recherche), Laboratoire Navier. Concentrated suspensions, yield stress fluids and thixotropic materials.
- 2002-2003 : Post-doc in Fluid Mechanics, ESPCI.
- 1999-2002 : PhD at Laboratoire des Milieux Désordonnés et Hétérogènes, Université Paris VI. Static and rheological properties of confined granular materials.
- 1998-1999 : Researches in String theory at Centre de Physique Théorique, École Polytechnique.
- 2011 : Habilitation à diriger les Recherches (habilitation thesis), Université Paris-Est, 26 May 2011. HDR
- 1999-2002 : PhD in physics, Université Paris XI, 24 June 2002. PhD
- 1997-1998 : DEA Champs, Particules et Matière (Universités Paris VI, VII, et XI)
- 1994-1997 : Ingénieur de l’École Polytechnique, promotion X94.
- Médaille de Bronze du CNRS (2009)
- Prix « La Recherche », October 2007 (with P. Coussot and N. Roussel) for works on the rheology of concentrated suspensions and fresh concrete.
- 2 best poster awards : GFR congress 2007 (presented by F. Mahaut) and GFR congress 2009 (presented by Q. Barral)
- PhD award of Groupe Français de Rhéologie (GFR), October 2002.
Grants (PI or co-PI)
- 2014-2015 : co-PI, research grant of Colas (with X. Chateau and O. Pitois) : bitumen rheology
- 2011-2014 : PI, grant "Jeune Chercheur" of "Agence Nationale de la Recherche" : yield stress suspensions, from microstructure to macroscopic behavior.
- 2011-2014 : PI, PhD grant of Saint-Gobain : bubble suspensions (with O. Pitois and J. Goyon)
- 2010-2011 : co-PI, 2 reasearch grants of Saint-Gobain (with O. Pitois) : aerated materials.
- 2008-2011 : co-PI, PhD grant of Lafarge : fresh concrete (with N. Roussel)
- 2006-2009 : PI, grant "Jeune Chercheur" of "Agence Nationale de la Recherche" : liquid/solid transition in concentrated suspensions.
- 2008-2009 : co-PI, post-doc grant of Institut CARNOT VITRES : bubble suspensions. (with O. Pitois)
- 2008-2009 : co-PI, reasearch grants of Veolia : mud rheology (with P. Coussot)
- 2007-2008 : co-PI, reasearch grant of Saint Gobain : mortar rheology (avec P. Coussot)
- 2005-2008 et 2008-2011 : PI, 2 PhD grants of LCPC
- expert for Solvay since 2014
- works as expert for Air Liquide, Bic, Lafarge
- participation in other grants (ANR ,Danone, IFPEN, Aquitaine Region...)
- Romain Morini (2014-2015) : suspensions of bubbles in Newtonian fluids
- Sarah Hormozi (2013-2014) : shear-induced migration in non-Newtonian suspensions
- Stéphanie Deboeuf (2011-2013) : microstructure and rheology of yield stress suspensions
- Julie Goyon (2008-2010) : drainage and rheology of foamy yield stress fluids
- Mike Kogan (2006-2008) : suspensions of bubbles in yield stress fluids
- Alexandre Ragouilliaux (2006-2007) : mortar rheology
PhD students :
- Laetitia Pinaud (co-advisor, 2016-2019) : Elastic instabilities in a micellar solution
- Ahmadreza Rashedi (co-advisor,2015-2019) : inhomogeneities in non-Newtonian suspensions
- Swati Kaushik (2015-2018) : filtration and dilution mechanisms of suspensions of microgels
- Anne Bouchaudy (co-advisor,2015-2018) : drying of colloidal suspensions
- Clément Robin (co-advisor, 2013-2016) : nanocomposites
- Lucie Ducloué (2011-2014) : bubble suspensions
- Quentin Barral (2008-2011) : 3D flows of yield stress fluids
- Hamid Hafid (co-advisor, 2008-2011) : fresh concrete
- Thai Son Vu (co-advisor, 2007-2010) : polydisperse suspensions
- Fabien Mahaut (2005-2008) : suspensions of particles in yield stress fluids
- Abdoulaye Fall (co-advisor, 2005-2008) : granular suspensions
- participation to the supervision of 2 other students (2008-2011 and 2004-2007)
Updated : 08/01/2015